ABB Lummus Global is an international engineering and construction contractor that focuses on the oil and gas, petroleum refining, petrochemical and chemical process industries. Our projects and services extend from integrated offshore production projects to gas processing plants, refineries, petrochemical and chemical facilities and polymer plants.
We are the one engineering company able to deliver the full spectrum of services: developing feasibility studies; supplying technology; delivering engineering, procurement and construction services; supervising start-ups and providing training and technical services. ABB Lummus Global has successfully completed over 6,300 projects, ranging in size from under $1 million to $3 billion since 1907.
Experience in Iraq
Beginning in 1976, Lummus designed and constructed Iraq’s first integrated petrochemical complex in Basra. The complex is centred on the ethylene plant (based upon our proprietary technology) and consists of six major process units designed to produce polymers, chemicals and petrochemicals.
This mega-project was managed with close coordination between several Lummus offices and involved a peak construction staff of 7,000. In addition to the services required to design, procure and construct the plant, Lummus trained over 1,000 Iraqi nationals to construct and operate it. We supervised plant operation, provided maintenance for the plant and managed general support services such as a first aid clinic, hospital and cafeteria.
Into the 1980s, Lummus maintained a staff in Basra to supervise ongoing maintenance and preservation of the plant, equipment and facilities.
ABB Lummus Global has additional experience in Iraq including:
- The design of the ethylene, styrene monomer and polystyrene units in Iraq’s second petrochemical complex (near Baghdad)
- The crude oil refinery in Basra
- The Salahudin refinery at Bajii in northern Iraq
- The gas purification facilities in Kirkuk
- The Iraq/Turkey pipeline
Turn to ABB Lummus Global for:
- Safety and environmental compliance: Expertise in safety management, waste treatment and pollution prevention, assuring clients that their plants will meet or exceed environmental regulations and plant and construction safety requirements.
- Long-term relationships: A partner who will work closely with a client to establish priorities and limits, building trust and preserving the client’s values.
- Low-cost/high-performance plants: High quality plants that provide low-cost solutions and reliable performance.
- Advanced technology: A broad range of subsea, offshore production, refining and petrochemical process technologies available for license.
- Project execution: Extensive project management skills and years of experience to provide fast, turnkey solutions and single-source responsibility.
- Worldwide coverage: Engineering, procurement and construction operations in 10 countries, giving immediate access to the right people, materials and equipment.
We offer a creative, yet practical project management style. Our reputation is based on flexibility, delivering reliable and economical production facilities on time, while being fully responsive.
ABB Lummus Global is a part of ABB’s oil, gas and petrochemicals division that focuses on systems, products and services for oil and gas exploration and development, refineries and petrochemical plants worldwide. As part of the ABB Group, we enjoy the benefits of a local market presence in approximately 100 countries. Thus, we are organised to mobilise and coordinate resources, and to aggressively implement schedules and deliveries for complex projects anywhere in the world.
For more information, please visit our website: